Monday, February 6, 2012

The experience of a lifetime - #NCBA12

Last week I interned at the National Annual Cattle Industry Convention and it was a phenomenal experience! I met some amazing friends and industry leaders throughout the week that I hope to stay in contact with in the future. I did a little bit of everything throughout the week from, meet and greet with the NCBA staff, to welcoming conference attendees, and raising money for NCBA PAC (political action committee). I also had the opportunity to help with Cattleman's College on Wednesday which is a day of classes for producers featuring industry professionals from an array of subject areas.
On Friday night, we went to the Grand Ole Opry....it was so so cool! My favorite was Josh Turner. Other performing artists were Eden's Edge (I am going to start following these guys), Johnny Price, and the Oak Ridge Boys. Then we went back to the convention center for a barn dance which was also a big time! There I met some of my social media friends in person, which is always a cool experience. It's shocking to me when people come up and say, "Are you Lyndi? I follow you on Twitter and read your blog!". The creepiest experience I had with that was when I was leaving the hotel Saturday morning (without my name tag on) and a guy came up to me! I don't know how he knew who I was but it was pretty neat, I was a little bit excited! :) Here are some of my tweeps I met: @AR_ranchhand, @meganmleonard, @jamesdecker2006, and @cowgirljesse!
Here are some pics from the week:

Me and Hilary, my roommate for the week! We had a great time :) 

Me and Malorie, a.k.a. Mal the Beef Gal, at the Barn Dance! I loved meeting her. Check out her awesome blog! (link above)

Me and Debbie Blythe from Life on a Kansas Cattle Ranch at the Grand Ole Opry. We both had been by the KSU booth in the trade show to get our powercat stickers!  I love this lady and her passion for the industry...she is someone I look up to! I also had the chance to meet Barb Downey at Cattleman's College before she spoke in the reproduction management session! Two really neat ladies! :)

Lots of farmers and ranchers at the Grand Ole Opry! 

Josh Turner! :)

I had an amazing week and am so thankful to have had this experience! THANK YOU NCBA! 

No comments: