Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Grass is cool!

Since making the transition from grad school to "big kid world", I'm quickly learning (just as everyone told me) that I spend 80% of my working day dealing with grass. For this animal science girl from SW Kansas, this is a big deal and the learning curve is pretty steep! :) I am welcoming this challenge with open arms and am discovering that grass is actually really cool! This week I have been at a pasture and forage crop conference and have had the opportunity to see a lot of different forages and forage systems.



We toured the Overton, TX experiment station.



I found these friendly ladies! The quality of cattle at the station was exceptional!



Some of the F1 tiger striped heifers. (This results from breeding a Brahman cow to a Hereford bull or vise versa)



Looked at a lot of different grasses, clovers, and identified several weeds.



Toured the 7P ranch which was gorgeous!



I had a great time and enjoyed the chance to see agriculture in a different part of the US!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: