Sunday, January 29, 2012

Teaching kids valuable life skills

This weekend I had the privilege of judging the Montgomery Co. Livestock Show in Winona, MS. This was my first show to judge in the South and I had a BLAST! From the moment I arrived I was blown away by the nice families, how welcoming everyone was, and how polite the kids were! Before the show started I was "observing" the families and all of them were working together to get their animals ready and laughing and having a good time! I was very obvious that the kids were excited, happy to be there, and loved every minute of what they were doing! The kids did an awesome job showing and had done really well working with and preparing their animals prior to the show.

After the show I had the opportunity to visit with one of the Moms. She was sharing with me why she felt that 4-H, agriculture, and livestock were so important for her kids and their family. Showing livestock is a great opportunity for families to spend time together. In today's time, as sad as it is, this is becoming a rarity. The kids are responsible for getting up before school every morning to feed their animals and then as one little boy put it, "When I get off the bus from school, I got outside to my lambs so that I can exercise them, work with them to get ready for the shows, and feed them." During showmanship I asked the kids a variety of questions and one of them being, "Tell me about your lamb (or goat, heifer, etc.)". Every one of these kids could tell me in detail what they were doing at home to properly take care of and manage their animals. This teaches kids responsibility and a work ethic at a young age. It also teaches them how to care for livestock.  Most of these kids also had a lot of self confidence and weren't shy while I was asking them questions. They have to think on their feet while in the show ring and this will translate to job interviews many years down the road. These kids are learning life skills as early as 5-7 years of age that are irreplaceable. When they are grown and mature they will know how to work, obtain and hold a job, and how to be professional in business settings.
I was very proud of all these kids. They did an awesome job and should be commended for all their time and effort they have put into their projects!


The kids and I after the show!

4 comments:

Janet said...

So cool that you got to judge a show!! Sounds like they were lucky to have you!

blessed463 said...

Kudos to you Lyndi for being a judge and taking time to visit with these kids and their families. People like you make it possible for them to have shows and compete. You grew up doing the things they are doing now, and now you're enabling the traditions to continue. Good for you!! And good for them! It's great to see ag families doing great things together!

Lyndi said...

It was so much fun! There was a little boy with a heifer named Daisy that his family had raised...too cute! Ironically, I used to have a heifer named Daisy too when I was little!

mark tully said...

Hello friends,

This blog is really very helpful. The life skills taught in the program help improve behavior, as well as grades, in school. The activity can help lead to improved physical fitness. The interaction with other kids decreases peer conflict and increases understanding between cultures. Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this.

Life Skills For Teenagers