Zinc - helps to create a healthy immune system and heal wounds
Iron - helps carry oxygen in the blood to all cells and muscles to prevent fatigue
Protein - helps to build a strong and healthy body
B-complex vitamins (including vitamin B12, niacin, vitamin B6 and riboflavin) - helps release energy from food.
There are 29 lean cuts of beef that meet government guidelines for lean such as the Tenderloin, T-bone steak, and 95% Lean Ground Beef.
More on the health benefits of BEEF
When cooking beef at home, it's important to handle, cook, and store beef correctly. By using a meat thermometer you can ensure that your ground beef is cooked correctly - the internal temperature of hamburgers should reach 160 degrees F before consumption.
Here is a new burger recipe I received today from BEEF It's What's for Dinner. It looks delicious and I cannot wait to give it a try. This would be a great idea for the 4th of July. I know when celebrating with my family, we always have TONS of food so these bite size burgers would make a great appetizer.
- 1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
- 9 whole wheat small hamburger or slider buns, split, divided
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Mango-Pineapple Salsa, Spicy Caramelized Onions or Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce
- Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
- Combine ground beef, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, onion, egg white, garlic, salt and pepper in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
- Place patties on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. About 1-1/2 minutes before burgers are done, place rolls, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Serve burgers in buns with Topping(s) Variation(s), as desired. Close sandwiches.
Mango-Pineapple Salsa: Combine 1/2 cup finely diced ripe mango or 1/2 cup finely diced drained jarred ripe mango, 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple or 1/3 cup drained canned crushed pineapple, 1/4 cup finely chopped tomato, 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 1 cup
Spicy Caramelized Onions: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 3 cups thinly sliced yellow onions and 2 to 3 medium thinly sliced red or green jalapeño peppers or 6 thinly sliced baby sweet red bell peppers. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; stir in 1/2 teaspoon cumin. Cook 15 to 18 minutes or until onions are very tender and golden brown, stirring frequently. Season with salt, as desired. Makes 1-1/2 cups
Creamy Yogurt-Feta Sauce: Combine 1/2 cup reduced-fat or nonfat plain or Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup reduced-fat or regular crumbled feta cheese, 2 tablespoons minced onion and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Refrigerate until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup