Sunday, January 23, 2011

Update of the happenings on the Ranch…

As you have all probably noticed, since I have returned to school pictures of cows and calves have been rather sparse on the blog!  I have been trying to persuade my Dad to take the digital camera along with him when he is feeding and hauling water to the cows  so I can post new pictures! However, I have not been successful yet. I think it is going to take a little more encouragement from me to get this task accomplished. My Dad is not the camera type!

As a result, I will have to update as best I can in the meantime.  Currently, there are babies EVERYWHERE!  Today, Dad moved some of the older baby calves to stalks. Let me clarify: when I say stalks, I am referring to the milo stalks that are left over from milo harvest in the Fall. There are stalks (stem of the milo plant), leaves, and some milo (grain) left behind after harvest that the cows really enjoy in the winter time.

These aren’t our cows, but I wanted you to see a picture so you could get the main idea! Don’t be fooled, just because the stalks are brown doesn’t mean that they aren’t nutritious! The stalks are actually  full of all the nutrients a cow needs!

The younger calves and their mamas are still at the house on a grass patch.  They will stay there until they are old enough to go to stalks with the other cows and calves.

That is all I have for now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will have pictures to share in the next few days. Mom may have to take the camera out if Dad doesn’t step it up! Hope everyone is staying warm!

No comments: